Saturday, November 9, 2013

My Labor Experience: Part 1

Well, he's here :) My Graham has finally come and this is the story behind it all. It's already been two weeks since it happened, and this is the first time I have felt like I have had spare moment to write down my experience. I have been so exhausted physically and emotionally, focusing on my baby is all I really have energy for. But I am excited to write down my thoughts and what I experienced! Next to my wedding day, October 27th is now the happiest day of my life! 

Here I am at 40 weeks pregnant! Not only was I finished growing Graham at this point, I was officially done being pregnant.  The discomfort was taking it's toll and I was more than ready for him to be out! Seriously! 


My last pregnancy update pic, taken one day before I went into labor!


At my last appointment!

I waited all week long for Mom and Ashley to arrive, hoping that Graham would wait for them before he decided to come. What a sweet boy he is, because he did wait :) I picked up my Mom and Ashley from the airport on Friday morning and I was so happy!! Now it was officially time to get this baby out! No more waiting! We had lunch at Red Robin on the pier with Steve after leaving the airport, and I ordered spicy hot buffalo wings (YUM) in hopes of kick starting my labor. I was willing to try any trick to get things going! 

I also just happened to have my 40 week appointment with the midwives that same day too. I was really excited for it because they offered to perform a membrane sweep, to help naturally induce my labor. I was all for it of course, and the timing was great with Mom and Ash being there. I have heard this is pretty common for this to help get contractions started, and I was anxious to see if it worked on me or not! It didn't really hurt either which was relieving, since I had heard that it could be kind of painful. Now it was only a matter of time! My Mom told me that every time she had a membrane sweep she would go into labor within 24 hours. So we were all hoping that genetics would play it's card in this effort! Going in to, essencially, induce my labor was a crazy feeling...things got very real. No going back! 

My midwife decided to schedule me for an induction date that following Monday...which was weird for obvious reasons, being a midwife and all haha! But it was all for superstition, and it's a silly joke they have! Apparently everytime they actually schedule an induction date with a women, she ends up going into labor naturally on her own before the induction day! And since she knew that I wanted to go into labor as soon as possible, she figured why not set an induction date just to see what happens. Some added and light hearted pressure haha. 

Straight from the doctors visit our goal was to get me moving. We went shopping at Costco for food, and we did some strolling around at Marshalls. I was trying very hard to listen to my body for signs of early labor. I knew for sure that I was getting contractions very frequently, but they were the Braxton Hicks contractions and I never felt any pain with them. 

Walking around Costco though, I did start to feel SO uncomfortable. No pain, just discomfort like I haven't felt in a long time. Almost like a sick, twisty feeling in my abdomen. I wanted so badly to just lay on the ground in a fetal position and sit there. I tried explaining the feeling to my Mom and I just couldn't describe it very well. Finally after walking more around Costco it donned on me!! Period cramps! They felt exactly like period cramps! I just hadn't had them in so long I almost forgot the feeling! Once I announced my epiphany, my Mom just laughed and was not too suprised. Apparently my midwife mentioned earlier that I might start to feel cramps after the appointment. And it meant that the membrane sweep was starting to work. How did I miss that?? Everyone got a good laugh out of that one :) 



The next morning, Saturday, I woke up not in labor :( hence my sad face. I just wanted things to get going so bad.

Ashley is so funny. She came thinking it was going to be a dandy ol' time helping me through labor and having a new baby....but she soon realized that she wasn't quite as prepared for everything that was about to go down! So this is Ashley trying to catch up last minute!! Typcial Ashley, our little procrastinator! Haha!




Since I didn't go into labor that night, we decided it was time to get moving again. I was still feeling crampy, and I continued to have braxton hicks as well. Nothing really new though. All day they made me go get their drinks, throw their trash away, pick up stuff. Man, I had been given all this nice treatment the last 9 months and all the sudden I'm the one doing everything :) We thought it would also be a good idea to go on a good hike at Snoqualmie Falls. Nice decline on the way down and a good incline on the way back up. So we set off! 





It had been a long day! We finished our night playing dominos, one of our favorite games. It helped take the focus off of labor and we had a fun time! We actually had so much fun that we didn't go to bed until midnight! I didn't know it yet but, I would soon regret not getting to bed earlier....



So we went to bed at midnight. Around 12:30 I started feeling pain! I quickly woke up Steve from his 20 minute nap and told him how I was feeling. Since I had no idea what real contractions felt like I was still very unsure if this was real labor pain. Steve noticed that my pain episodes were happening while my belly got hard, and we both figured that these were real contractions! So it wasn't a fluke pain. It was the real deal! I WAS OFFICIALLY IN LABOR!! 

I was so excited! These contractions totally hurt, but I was honestly thrilled that they hurt! I sat through 4 or 5 contractions as we timed them and they were definitely consistant. Steve was so excited and I remember laughing in between contractions with him just out of happiness! We woke up Mom and Ashley, who had just barley fallen asleep and they joined us in our bedroom where I was pacing back and forth. 

Don't get me wrong, I was really hurting bad. These contractions made me feel like my uterus was on fire, while feeling like a knife was lightly tracing down my belly (yucky analogy, I know) They seemed to get really strong right away and they took me to my knees after only 30 minutes. But I could still talk through contractions and I was totally functional once they were done. I even was able to take a shower and get myself ready for the hospital without a ton of help. I thought to myself that I was really handling labor well! I was so worried that I would be a pansy right off the bat, since I figured that I don't handle pain very well. But I genuinely suprised myself in wanting to be tough through this. Keeping things lighthearted in between contractions helped. Smiling and making jokes wasn't part of my vision for labor I'll tell you that! 

Still laboring at home, my contractions got stronger and more frequent. Everyone was getting ready for the hospital, gathering things and cleaning up a bit. It was quite a busy little house. But there was always someone assigned to be with me while the other two got ready. As the contractions got stronger, the more I needed support. It got to the point where I really needed to start focus on my coping. And I wasn't so excited anymore. 

I actually started to panic a little bit. Steve recognized this and he offered to give me a blessing of comfort! I knew that was something I needed and it was a beautiful blessing! It was instant emotional relief for me! I was crying and I felt spirit so strong! I felt the spirit tell me that I shouldn't be afraid. I knew that I wasn't alone in this process. Heavenly Father and Christ were so close to me, both at my side! I could feel them! They knew I could do this, and my body was made to do this. Soon Heavenly Father's sweet innocent spirit would be in my arms. My mind was able to reconnect with my body and I was ready for what more was to come. The priesthood is amazing, that it allows men to convey what God needs you to hear through their blessings. True inspiration! I'm so grateful for Steve and his worthiness to hold the priesthood, so he can bless our family! 


Ready to head off to the hospital! Things seemed to be moving at a good pace so we made the call and they asked us to come in! As much as I was hurting, I really wanted a picture with Steve of our last night as a family of two! I'm really happy we got one!  


We have arrived! I was totally dreading the car ride to the hospital. Sitting was in no means the best position for coping. But thank goodness the hospital is only a 8 minute drive from our house, and I only had to sit through 2 contractions during the ride! What a relief, and was excited to finally be here! Lets get things started! 














1 comment:

  1. Man… What an eventful start to labor. Your story ended too soon!

    ReplyDelete